Siri, born on October 4th, 2011, has already come a long way during her short lifetime. But still in many cases when Siri doesn’t understand what you’re asking, she will divert you to a plain vanilla web search. That’s Siri’s way of indicating that your query – how you asked Siri for stuff – just didn’t come through. Understanding natural language is a key area where Siri has a lot of growing up to do.
But already, Siri’s responses often have a lot of wit to them. Character and personality have been a distinct feature of Siri’s responses since the launch of the virtual personal assistant, and exactly these features make Siri stand out from the competition. In the past, Apple has accomplished this by hiring creative writers to give Siri a true personality. And Apple seems to be hiring again to juice up Siri’s artificial intelligence. According to 9to5 Mac, last week, a job listing on jobs.apple.com showed proof that Apple is taking the development of Siri’s personality to a higher level:
“We’re looking for a uniquely creative individual to help us evolve and enrich Siri, our virtual personal assistant. Siri’s known for ‘her’ wit, cultural knowledge, and zeal to explain things in engaging, funny, and practical ways. The ideal candidate is someone who combines a love for language, wordplay, and conversation with demonstrated experience in bringing creative content to life within an intense technical environment.”
- Excellent overall writing skills
- Great vocabulary and cross-cultural knowledge
- Demonstrated experience in writing character-driven dialog
- Demonstrated ability to elicit and synthesize ideas from a variety of creative sources
- Excellent technical language skills; strong knowledge of English grammar and style
- Multiple languages strongly preferred; translation experience is a plus
- Demonstrated multi-disciplinary teamwork skills
- Experience working with software engineering teams, practices, and tools desired
- Experience with user-centered design is a plus
The succesful job applicant will:
- Develop and write original dialog to support new Siri capabilities; refresh and refine existing Siri dialog.
- Work closely with interaction designers in formulating utterances, and in specifying them and their parameters for engineering staff.
- Develop a rapid editorial process and workflow for eliciting ideas (from internal, external, and user sources), creating and refining dialog, soliciting internal reviews, getting dialog into production, and learning from user reaction to it.
- Ensure the consistency and quality of Siri dialog from all sources.
- Help the Siri team evolve Siri as a distinct, recognizable character.
This job listing has been recently removed, which either means that Apple just closed the kitchen door or the job has been taken. We can’t wait for the results!